Development Academy moves back to St. Fintan’s from this Sunday, 22nd September
NEW PLAYERS ARE WELCOME!
Killester Basketball Club embraces the development of the love of basketball from an early age. Our Development Academy sessions are on Sunday mornings from September until the end of April. They are suitable for boys and girls from junior infants* up to age 10.
Sessions usually take place in St. Fintan’s High School gym, Sutton & occasionally in St. David’s CBS gym, Artane, on Sunday mornings 10-11.30am
Children should wear shorts/shirt/leggings/tracksuit/t-shirt and runners to sessions, and bring a bottle of water.
- The Sessions are run by Nicola Sheridan, an ex Killester player & paediatric physiotherapist with an interest in long term athletic development and physical activity in children.
- She is supported by The Amazing Junior Coaches – our club players who are in Transition Year in school and who receive ‘Train the Trainer’ training, which includes sports first aid, how to teach gross motor skills for athletic development, and CPR/ AED training.
- We also have a core group of adult coaches from our Super League teams and our mentor groups who support each session every week.
- Warm up games
- Skills stations : shooting, dribbling, footwork and defence, passing, gross motor skill development, Early match development (1v1, 2v2, 3v3)
The cost is €160 for the year, which works out at approx. €6 per session. Family reductions are available for 2 or more children. New players are welcome to try out for a couple of weeks before paying fees.
Please note the following:
- Parents must provide names of child/ parent and mobile numbers at the 1st session their child attends.
- Children with special needs are very welcome to attend. Please discuss their needs with Nicola at their 1st session.
- Parents of children under the age of 7 should remain in the gym for the sessions.
*children must be able to follow instructions, so primary school attendance is our starting point!